For this episode, Ty and Daphne discuss recent news, events, and politics. They begin by catching up on life (00:30) and reacting to “Oh Lawd” news (7:48)—including PA workers being forced to listen to Trump or forfeit pay (8:16), fundraising while black (12:35), a burglary gone wrong (16:50), an unexpected encounter with TSA (20:50), and MLK’s niece defending Trump (23:10). Ty and Daphne then discuss Jay-Z’s controversial decision to partner with the NFL, what it means for his brand, and whether he should be cancelled (26:30). They close by discussing African American skepticism of progressive political messaging around economics, but not race (42:20).
- Pa. Workers Forced To Choose Between Watching Trump, No Pay Or Using Paid Time Off - https://www.npr.org/2019/08/17/752078503/pa-workers-forced-to-choose-between-watching-trump-no-pay-or-using-paid-time-off
- Four black teens were fundraising for their high school football team. A white woman held them at gunpoint - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jerri-kelly-arkansas-woman-held-four-black-teens-fundraising-high-school-football-gunpoint-wynne-county-2019-08-17/
- Airport security worker fired for passing note saying 'You ugly!!!' to a passenger- https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2019/08/18/rochester-airport-security-worker-fired-you-ugly-note/2045928001/
- Martin Luther King Jr.'s niece: 'Trump is not a racist’ - https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/456749-martin-luther-king-jrs-niece-trump-is-not-a-racist
- Jay-Z faces backlash over NFL partnership as Colin Kaepernick remains out of the league - https://abcnews.go.com/US/jay-faces-backlash-nfl-partnership-colin-kaepernick-remains/story?id=65055305